Friday, June 19, 2009


6/20-I think I may be switching

bookstores.  For years, I have been a B & N advocate.  But Borders has been kicking ass lately. Great, great coupons.  Yesterday, I got a coupon for 40% of anything in store.  Add to that my 10% members discount, and needless to say, I went book shopping. Plus, I always get a warm fuzzy feeling when I remember the Borders on Magdalen Street in Oxford that was my home away from home.


Now that I have finished my first round of summer reading books, here's my feedback.

The Hours
On the second read through, it is still wonderful.  Not as wonderful as Mrs. Dalloway of course, but still one of the most impactful books. 

The Shadow of the Wind
This books was really gothic and fun.  Nice and creepy at places, touching and insightful at others.  My only gripe: there was a bit of a third act collapse.  It kinda slugs along at the end, which is disappointing because the first two-thirds have a nice, consistent tension.  Overall, a good read. I could put it down, though.  Unlike the Outcast.

My next reading list is:
I Capture the Castle
A Spy in the House of Love
A Brief History of Time (re-read)

And between two Brontes, which should I read? ... Should I re-read Wuthering Heights (I read it soooo long ago that all I remember are the basic plot points and I'm sure I didn't appreciate it as much as I would now) or Jane Eyre (I've actually never read it, but I saw the movie in high school so I remember the plot).



OR


And, finally, here it is. Your moment of body Zen.


Thank-you Vanity Fair.  These are the "New Girls of Summer".  They are pro and amateur surfers.  And they are REAL.  Their bodies are wonderfully strong and fit, but you can tell that these girls also like to eat cheese and drink beer. Yes!

1 comment:

  1. Please, PLEASE read Jane Eyre. So much better than Wuthering Heights. In fact, it's the best book I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete