Friday, November 6, 2009


Yes, it was awesome.



"An Education" is an incredible film and you should all see it. As soon as possible. Carrie Mulligan FTW (seriously...she WILL get an Oscar nomination: bet it).

I'm still waiting patiently for "Up in the Air" and "Nine" to come out, but until then, there are a few less delicious treats for my (and your) eyes to feast on.

Next week, two delightful films will open nationwide. And when I say delightful, I mean it. These will not be Oscar contenders, they won't change or challenge you, you won't leave the theater in tears. 

But they will be fun, fun, fun. The first of these happy, smart movies is:

"Fantastic Mr. Fox"



My love for Wes Anderson is no secret.  Yes, I know; not all of his movies have been as stellar as critics like to think. But I will never recant my statement that "The Royal Tenenbaums" is one of the best films in recent history. I love it. So much.   And I love Wes. And Owen. And Jason Schwartzmann (who will be getting his own half post very very soon). Even Bill Murray has a role in "The Fox."

Now I know some of you may be thinking...blech blech...it's soooo ridiculous that Anderson routinely uses the same 10 people in all his films...scorn scorn...nepotism.  But Wes has heard your judgemental cry. Which is why he's bringing in some fresh, albeit heavy-hitting blood. George Clooney and Meryl Streep are the film's actual headliners.  That's right. The King of Cool and Queen Meryl will be the stars of Wes Anderson's newest film.  I mean...I'm hyperventilating, and I haven't even seen it yet.

For those of you unfamiliar with the premise, it's a re-telling of Roald Dahl's book of the same name. And it's stop motion animation.  And will be almost too much giggly goodness for me to handle.




The other wonderfully good feel-good movie to come is:

"Pirate Radio" (formerly known as "The Boat That Rocked")



This film has been out for AGES in Europe and GB. And has done really really well.  Please go see it so that, once again, we American's don't prove to the rest of the world our dumb-ass-ness and bad taste in films.



It's by Richard Curtis who has done sooo many amazingly funny British RomCom's including one of my other most favorite films of all time "Love Actually."  (I mean...that movie is....perfect.)  Pirate Radio is based on true events in the 1960's when the BBC banned "rock" music from national broadcasts. So, a bunch of hippie DJ's went out into international waters and started broadcasting rock and roll hits to the musically starved masses.  

And speaking of casts...look at this cast.  Philip Seymour Hoffman, Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson, Bill Nighy, Nick Frost, and even newbie Tom Sturridge who is about to give his longtime BFF Robert Pattinson ("Twilight" vampire guy) a run for his money in the heart throb category. Bet this too: These two boys will soon be the new Ben and Matt. 




Both films come out November 13. It will be a busy weekend.

P.S. 

THIS DRESS. This dress is blowing my mind.  And she has such great style. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment